Mixed Seed Sprinkle Salad
For the salad
* 1 heart of romaine lettuce, leaves separated
* 1/4 cup creamy salad dressing
* 1 tablespoon of mixed seeds
* Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the creamy dressing
* 1/2 cup plain yogurt
* 1/4 cup mayonnaise
* 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
* 2 thinly sliced onions
* 1 garlic clove, grated, pressed or finely minced
* Kosher salt and fresh black pepper
For mixed seeds
* 2 tablespoons of sunflower seeds
* 2 tablespoons of sesame seeds
* 2 tablespoons of fennel seeds
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* Kosher salt
* For the dressing
*Beat yogurt, mayonnaise, lemon juice, chives, and garlic in a bowl. Spice with salt and pepper. Transfer to a sealable jar or container and refrigerate for up to 1 week.
* For mixed seeds
* Cook sunflower, sesame, and fennel seeds in hot oil in a small skillet over medium heat, stirring frequently, until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and season with salt. Cool completely before storing. Seeds will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
* For the salad
* Spread half the lettuce in a single layer on a large plate. Top with half the dressing and the seeds. Season with salt and pepper. Repeat with the remaining leaves, dressing, and seeds.
Steamed Artichokes with Smoked Paprika Alioli
* 4 medium artichokes
* 1 lemon cut in half
* 2 egg yolks
* 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
* 1/3 c. olive oil
* 6 tablespoons canola oil
* 2 garlic cloves finely grated
* 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
* Kosher salt and ground black pepper
* Step 1: Cut 1-inch off the top of each artichoke with a serrated knife; Discard. Rub the cut sides with lemon. Holding the artichoke by the stem, use shears to snip off the spiny tips of the leaves.
*Step 2: Place a steamer basket in a large pot and add enough water to reach just below the basket. Add the juice of 1/2 lemon; to boil. Place artichokes upright in a basket and steam, covered, until tender, 30 to 35 minutes.
* Step 3: Meanwhile, mix 2 teaspoons each of lemon juice, egg yolks, and mustard in a bowl. Whisk both oils in a few drops at a time, whisking constantly until all the oil is blended. Beat the garlic and paprika. Spice with salt and pepper. (If the aioli is too thick, add a couple of drops of water.) Serve with artichokes.
Roasted Green Beans with Salt and Pepper
* 2 1/2 lbs. green beans, sliced
* 2 tablespoons of olive oil
* Salt flakes
* Coarsely ground fresh black pepper
*Step 1 Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat until very hot. Combine the green beans, oil, and 3/4 teaspoon of each salt and pepper in a bowl.
*Step 2 Add about a quarter of the beans to the pan and cook, without stirring, for 2 minutes, then stir and cook until charred and tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Serve on a plate and repeat with the remaining beans. Season with salt and pepper.